When you have 25 straight wins, you probably feel invincible. I would. I’m not really going to guess how Hector Lombard feels after his incredible streak but his mindset as to where he stands in the UFC middleweight division before even throwing a Zuffa punch can’t be any clearer than this tweet he sent this morning:
Quite a few people believe that Bisping would have been granted a title shot with a win over Tim Boetsch but he’s unfortunately now out of that fight with an injury. Lombard was scheduled to face Brian Stann before Stann also had to withdraw due to an injured shoulder. This injury mess has forced the UFC to combine these two matches, with Hector Lombard now fighting Tim Boetsch on UFC 149 next month.
I would assume that Bisping and Stann will meet down the road as a title eliminator considering Dana While has previously hinted that a Lombard win over Stann would justify a title shot, but that’s nothing more than speculation at this point. I’ve not seen an injury mess things up this much since I nearly sliced my finger off working in McDonalds and the whole breakfast shift had to come to a halt while arrangements were made to take me to hospital. In case you’re not sure what’s happened here, we’ll recap:
- Michael Bisping vs Tim Boetsch at UFC 149 on July 21 is off due to a Bisping injury.
- Hector Lombard vs Brian Stann at UFC on Fox 4 on August 4 is off due to a Stann injury.
- Hector Lombard vs Tim Boetsch will go down on July 21 at UFC 149.
- With TUF: The Smashes approaching, Lombard and Bisping as coaches makes a lot of sense.
- Zuffa’s insurance is being well used right now.